Monday, July 22, 2013

Custom Made

I will admit that I've been a little light on adding new pieces to my ready to wear range of late.  There are a few reasons for this - chief among them school holidays, study deadlines and yucky old 'flu.

The other (far more interesting) reason is to do with custom made garments.

Part of the joy of being a small fish in the rag trade is the connection you make with your clients and the opportunity to provide spectacular customer service.  I really love it when people come to me with fabric - its usually accompanied with an explanation along the lines of:
"I bought this fabric and I love love love it, but I just don't know what to make with it/I don't have the time to make it up/I don't know if my skill set is up to making this into a garment"
Yet others come to visit my studio and spy [no pun intended] a length of fabric, either modern or vintage waiting to be turned into something special and a custom order comes together in that way.

So yes there have been quite a few special orders of late.  Usually they fly out the door to their new owners before I've had a though to take their photo for posterity, but here I have an example of my Tahunanui tunic custom style - made for a bubbly, quilt-mad friend and fellow blogger.

I got to thinking about how I balance these custom jobs.  I've come up with a new way of working, which will make the whole custom option so much easier to access for you, and easier for me to balance with everything else for me.  Sound good?  I've created a brand spanking new tab on my blog - up there at the top. Have a read and if this sounds like something you want to discuss with me my contact details are to be found there too.

Hope you are surviving - I mean [aherm] enjoying the school holidays.  I'm varying the workshop hours this Friday its 1.30-4.  My darling daughter does not love the studio as much as I do, despite bribes of icecream and time on Daddy's tablet she insists on calling it "The Boring Cottage".  Saturday will be 10-4 as usual.

Until next time!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Awesome - you are such a talent! in awe of your works - custom and not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome that you are building a clientele that you get to work with on collaborations like this, and I can see how beautiful the tunic will look on that lovely bloggers too! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely love my Nin custom mades

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank you for your comment, its so nice to hear from you.....